We entered Louisiana today, and I have now been to 25 of the 50 United States of America, i'm half-way there! When we got to New Orleans, we went straight to the National WWII Museum, and began looking at the exhibits. The exhibits were much like those at the Australian War Memorial, and many things that I had already known, but the most interesting part was a film shown every hour called "Beyond All Boundaries" Produced and Narrated by Tom Hanks. It was fascinating and I actually learned quite a few things I had not known about the war.
The film only focused on the Americans in the war, due to it being part of the National WWII Museum, and talked about things like Pearl Harbour, the Normandy Landings, their battles in the Pacific and the planned invasion of main-land Japan, which would have been the largest military operation in Human History. Hearing about the Americans plans in the invasion, it was clear that without the atomic bombings of Japan, the Japanese may have been completely wiped out.
We have two nights here in New Orleans, and tomorrow we will be looking around the city at all of its sites, looking forward to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment