Thursday, 4 October 2012

Tuscon

This morning I got to sleep in again, something which I am very happy about on this holiday, considering it has been so rare. I was able to get a good sleep without any distractions in the morning because I am in a separate room to mum and dad, so when they go down to breakfast in the morning, I can remain asleep without being disturbed.

After I eventually did get up and had the breakfast mum and dad brought up to the room for me, we left the hotel and went to the Pima air and space museum nearby, where they have the SR-71 stealth plane, which was used first during the cold war, and went to altitudes so high, that the pilots actually had to wear a space suit.

We looked around the museum at many of the planes they had there, such as the C-130 Hercules and the Air Force One jet used by Kennedy and Johnson. But there weren't just planes, but also helicopters such as the Huey and the UH-60 Black hawk. They had an indoor area known as the "Space gallery" with a few simulators to try and displays.

The highlight of the museum though was the boneyard tour, we got on a bu and were taken to the nearby Air Force base, and then began to drive through the massive storage area for all kinds of planes used by the U.S Air Force, we were told that the boneyard had 4000 planes, and seeing the size of it, that wasn't hard to believe.

After we left the museum we went to the nearby Titan 2 Missile Silo. The Titan 2 is a nuclear missile, and the most powerful one ever deployed by the United States, it could wipe out an entire city. We looked around the facility on a tour, and even got to simulate a launch, I was made the commander and had to launch the missile, though I didn't actually launch one (Next time).

We then went to the Saguaro National Park, which is filled with Saguaro Cacti, these are the cacti which are shaped in the cliche positions, going straight up with slightly curved branches. They have a very long life-span and can grow to up to 50 feet tall, as well as living for over 100 years. We drove around their 5 mile scenic route and took a few photos before heading back to the hotel. It was a long day, but a very enjoyable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment